Leica Q firmware 2.0 update announced
Firmware version 2.0 for the Leica Q has just been released and can be downloaded here.
Among the improvements are:
- DNG-only shooting
- Optimised EVF mode to allow direct switch to menu control / picture assessment on the LCD screen.
- User Profile is now directly accessible via the FN button.
- Spirit level remains visible when shutter is pressed
- Three optimised autofocus functions: Three sizes of 1-field autofocus metering area; AF motion in digital zoom mode for focal lengths of 35mm and 50mm has been limited to avoid focusing on objects outside the zoom range.
- Face detection optimised to allow multi-field autofocus mode if not face is detected.
The full list of updates is included in this Leica press release below:
Leica releases firmware update 2.0 for Leica Q
Leica has released firmware update 2.0 for the Leica Q, bringing numerous new features to the highly successful full-frame compact camera. The update is available to download now from the Leica web site.
Leica works continuously in close collaboration with Leica photographers on the development and optimisation of its products, and, as a result, a number of enhancements in this latest firmware update have been based on specific customer recommendations and suggestions.
The first of several improvements, DNG format can now be selected as a separate option in addition to JPG and DNG + JPG, allowing photographers to save space on their memory card.
An optimised EVF mode makes navigation even easier than before. With this firmware update, a press of the Menu or Play button now allows the user to switch straight to menu control / picture assessment on the LCD screen.
The shutter speed range has been expanded and now includes speeds of up to 120 seconds.
‘User Profile’ is now directly selectable via the FN button, facilitating quick and easy access to all functions stored in a particular user profile.
The spirit level display has also been improved, remaining visible when the shutter release is pressed.
Three optimised autofocus functions bring further creative freedom:
- The 1-field autofocus metering area can now be selected in three different sizes: small, medium and large.
- AF motion in digital zoom mode for focal lengths of 35mm and 50mm has been limited to avoid focusing on objects outside the zoom range.
- Face Detection has also been optimised: if no face is detected, AF now automatically reverts to multi-field autofocus mode.
Furthermore, a fourth information screen has been added, with the option to display the lower bar separately. The touch-controlled magnification function in playback mode has been revised, whereby double-tapping calls up the maximum enlargement or reduces the image back to original size.
Other new additions include a countdown display for long exposures / noise reduction, three modes available for the thumbwheel (Off/Auto/Exp. Comp.) and deactivation (Mode Lock) of the video button, if required. A change to WiFi password setting now allows the characters to remain visible when entered, and flash-unit compatibility has been extended to support the Leica SF 40 and SF 64.
Leica Q owners can download the firmware update from the Leica web site, or visit their local Leica Store or Leica Customer Care in the UK, for a complimentary firmware update service.